Hip Hip Array!

This week, we have been looking at our times tables and thinking about MULTIPLES and ARRAYS. Mrs Yollis in California drew our attention to the work in her class with this tweet:

So today we used Skitch on our i-pads to respond.  Below are some our Skitches:
tiles

hockney

100 square

bricks

drawers

Shelves

We then used our Twitter account to Tweet them back to Mrs Yollis’ class in California – it was the first time we had used Skitch, and the first time we had tweeted ourselves, so it was very exciting!  You can see the tweets we sent in our Twitter feed.

Before we started, we couldn’t remember the word ‘array’, but thanks to Mrs Yollis’ catchy tweet title, we ALL remember it now!  Once we started looking, we found arrays EVERYWHERE!  

Where can you see an array in your home?  

What is the array you see?

12 thoughts on “Hip Hip Array!

1. What a fun way to use your multiplication tables. It also shows how useful it is to know them. The obvious ones in my house are the tiles in the kitchen and bathroom but I am going to look for some more.

2. Hi Mrs Monaghan,
    Arrays are good for maths and they help you a lot.
    I do maths with miss Crowther. Because we have 2 grades and 3 math groups so combined students in each room.

Bye for now
    From Brent

• Hi Brent,
      Thanks for taking a look at our post! What do you like most about maths? Do you see any arrays around you where you are?
      Mrs Monaghan

3. Dear Mrs. Monaghan and class,

We were thrilled to see that you liked our array idea! Thanks for the great tweets that you sent out. We’ve got more to share! We’re using the hashtag #array.

We noticed that some of your arrays are cupboards, one is a hundred chart, and one is an array of artwork. What are the art pieces about?

In our original array, we had a total of 27 fish on our bulletin board. The top two rows had 10 fish each. Hence, 2 x 10 = 20. We had to + 7 because the bottom row of fish on our bulletin board did not have a full ten. Multiplication arrays must have the same number in each row.

What time zone are you in? We are in the Pacific Standard Zone or PST. Right now, we are on Daylight Saving Time, but it will end soon. We wonder what the time difference will be then.

We look forward to following your twitter feed!

Your American friends,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

• Dear Mrs Yollis,
      I hope that we will continue our search for arrays and keep tweeting! Now we’ve had a go, hopefully it will be quicker and easier next time!
      When we talked about tweeting your class, we looked for California on the map. We have recently been talking about time zones as we are working with Miss Crowther’s class in Victoria, Australia. They are 10 hours ahead of us and it is their springtime. We are on British summer time which ends this weekend and becomes Greenwich Mean Time. When we discovered that you are 8 hours behind us in time, initially we thought that might mean it was your springtime too, so I told them about the beautiful tree outside your classroom with its autumn foliage, and we thought a bit more about where we are on the planet and how that affects our seasons. And how you can have a lovely warm, sunny autumn while we get a wet and windy one!
      Look out for more of our arrays!
      From
      Mrs Monaghan

4. I love these! I was really impressed when you showed me on the ipad. I also loved the catchy way to remember the word ‘array’. I am now spotting them all around my house like Mrs. Fawbert!

5. Dear Mrs. Monaghan and class,

Thank you for mentioning our tweet about arrays! We added the hashtag #arrays and you were the first class to respond. Thanks again!

We also noticed that arrays are everywhere. For example, our visitor count chart is one row of seven. Also our ten ways to be a good student chart is ten rows of one. We have twelve magnets, so we can make one row of twelve, two rows of six. What is another array we could make using 12?

What was your best array?

Your friends,
    Sh♥yna, Sheil♥, and Nizma

• Hi Shayna, Sheila and Nizma,
      We enjoyed tweeting with you this week, it was very exciting! We’re looking forward to finding more ways to tweet, and we’re keeping an eye on your blog because you guys are so good at it. You should be very proud of yourselves for sharing all your lovely ideas and helping others with their blogging. Well done!
      I think you could also make a 3×4 array – was that what you had already worked out?
      I must say that I like art arrays, so I rather like the way a full palate of paint looks (2×3) and our David Hockney picture that we tweeted you. I will keep an eye out all week for further arrays!
      From your blogging buddy
      Mrs Monaghan

6. Dear Mrs. Monaghan and class,

Thank you for leaving such a fabulous comment for us!

This morning, we found an array of computers. They were lined up in an array 1 row of 5. 1×5=5.

We challenge you to find as many arrays as you can!

Sincerely,
    Ali and Darius

• Hi Ali and Darius,
      What a great thing to spot! Our computers are also lined up in a 1×6 array.
      We are all on the lookout for arrays now! This week is our half term holiday, so hopefully all of Class 2 are away looking for arrays wherever they go during the week!
      Your friend,
      Mrs Monaghan

7. I have just been looking at some of your fantastic arrays and it started me looking at home and on my walk around the village with Jimmy. I have a favourite one class 2 – perhaps you could share your favourite one with me ?

• Dear Mrs Procter,
      I’m glad we’ve got you looking for arrays too! I was looking at the window patterns in cottages as I walked down town today! I saw some lovely 3×4 window pane arrays. Can you take some photos to share with us in school?
      From
      Mrs Monaghan